Mid-year 2022 NEWS: Applied SAFe 5.1 Mythen, New Customers, Case Studies,
Public Webinars, Workshops, Training, Conferences, Partners, and More!
Thanks to your valued partnerships the first half-year of 2022 was very successful so far. We look forward to more of the same for the rest of 2022.
What we have been up to…
In the past 6 months, in addition to our strong brand in the automotive industry, we further extended successfully into Aeronautics. We will publish our first Aerospace case study with Applied SAFe in Fall 2022 and present it at the Tools for Agile Teams – Conference in December 2022.
By today we trained several hundred’s SAFe SPC’s in Applied SAFe Quality Management and Applied SAFe Process Engineering. All certified participants were either customers or members of our Applied-SAFe Partner companies. With such a large base of trained and hand-selected partners, we can support your transformation to Applied SAFe in almost every industry and in your local language. We further intensified our contact with professionals in industries such as Aeronautics, Insurance, Hardware, IT-Software, Banking, Medtech and Automotive. Our contacts are mostly about Applied SAFe, but we also held several trainings, workshops, and tutorials on specific topics such as Solution Centric Development, Lean-Agile Compliance, Lean-Agile Process-Engineering, and as well as SAFe Training.
Official Release – Applied SAFe 5.1
We have released Applied SAFe 5.1 ‘Roggenstock’ just 2 days after the public release of SAFe 5.1, including the offical approval of Applied SAFe 5.1 by Scaled Agile Inc. We released an intermediate minor version Applied SAFe 5.1 ‘Mythen’ in March 2022 to incorporate all changes of SAFe 5.1 since the offical release in 2020. We will publish a new intermediate version ‘Rigi’ in fall 2022. As well as new features and benefits as for example the Solution Centric Development approach for documentation of Architecture and Requirements.
The new version include all the latest changes to the framework, most changes have been on the portfolio level.
Applied SAFe serves as your own customizable instance of SAFe®. It includes all roles, activities, templates, guidelines, milestones, and phases as defined by the SAFe® methodology in order to bring the framework to life; including metrics and tailoring. Applied SAFe is a comprehensive implementation of SAFe as a process model with a sophisticated customization mechanism that allows instantiating each SAFe level independently but in line with the intended new SAFe configurations. For each of your endeavors just select the chosen SAFe configuration (e.g. Essential SAFe) and Applied SAFe tailors all elements accordingly.
Want to customize more specifically? Over 460 pre-built tailoring options give you the flexibility you are looking for besides of engineering your individual extensions. Share your knowledge via the integrated practice library and benefit from additional capabilities to reach compliance requirements like Automotive SPICE, HIPPA, CTR-180 (FDA), SOX, CMMI and many more while executing your lean-agile SAFe endeavor.
Join us at our upcoming public workshops:
- WORKSHOP – Solution Centric Development
– How to solve the mystery of combining System Engineering (V-Model) and SAFe in a regulatory compliant way – together with Scott Barnes
September 9th, 2022 08:00 AM, U.S. Eastern Time Zone.
Organizations that have traditionally been slow to move towards agility are now more than ever moving in that direction. We have found that there is a significant gap with the move from traditional systems engineering to a more lean/agile solution-centric development approach (SCD) In this workshop we will discuss the SCD Pattern and how it can be applied.
Get a glimpse of what we will do in the workshop and register here to WATCH the recording!
Watch recordings of past webinars
- Functional Safety in Applied SAFe (German) with ISO 26262, together with Dr. Tobias Maier from our Partner MethodPark.
- Solution Centric Development – 1 hour Webinar with Discussion –
- Achieving Better Regulatory Compliance and Governance with Scaled Agility
This webinar with more than 200 participants was exclusively for the US-market, hosted by our partner CPRIME.
- Compliance eats Agile for Lunch Discussion on what ar some typical pitfalls in applying SAFe in regulated environments.
- This is just an excerpt, for a full list please visit our blog at: https://www.pedco.eu/blog
Want to organize the participation of PEDCO at your events?
- Get in touch if you want us to present topics from our experience around scaling agile in regulated environments at your in-house or open door event or conference. Contact us.
Join us at future conferences in Europe and USA
Meet us in 2022 at (as possible & reasonable due to the Coronavirus):
- Tools for Agile Teams, Wiesbaden – Germany, December 1-2
We will continue to offer trainings for SAFe®, Applied SAFe® and Lean-Agile. Based on our deep design and development experience with process engineering on the Stages platform we now also offer specific workshops and trainings, hence, created an additional training category for process engineering:
- SAFe Training: We will continue to train SAFe as we have very experienced practitioners as trainers, coming from or working in regulated environments and able to discuss SAFe applied in complex environments.
- Applied SAFe Training: Get certified as Applied SAFe Engineer and learn how to enhance our product, as a certified Applied SAFe Lean Transformation Manager you will be able to guide and lead the implementation of Applied SAFe in complex environments.
- Process Engineering
Benefit from our mature development experience with process engineering on the Stages platform. We gained in-depth skills not only on process design but also in the effective use of the tailoring features, different instantiation and deployment mechanisms as well as compliance mappings to a number of reference models and much more. Get inspired!
Click here to check out all the Trainings we have going on this year!
More than 80 Partner companies in 5 continents!
We have updated our Partner Directory! Now you are able to search for Partners via their country, making it easier for you to navigate and find what you are looking for.
In 2022 we continued to intensify and to grow our collaboration with partners, our newest partner is SVA from Germany, a very well established system integrator company with more than 2400 employees and 26 locations in Germany
Remember, as a Partner, you have 3 free days of training during the year. If you attend one of our trainings you will also get a certified Partner Badge along with a badge for what you are certified in; reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you haven’t received your badge!
Do you have clients that need to comply with certain regulations such as ASPICE, CMMI, ISO 26262, etc. ones that have large processes and don’t know how to connect them with SAFe, or even, clients that work in an agile manner but also some waterfall?
Through the Quality Manager partner training you will learn about the full features, advantages, and benefits of Applied SAFe, along with how to create instantiations for your clients, how to tailor, and more! This will prepare you for in-depth SAFe coaching in conjunction with Applied SAFe. We had two partner trainings in the USA in New York and San Francisco. This was in February 2020 – just before Covid19 and the lockdown.
Interested? Send an email to email@example.com and let us know which location you would like to attend!
Hear from past participants of our Quality Manager partner training:
Together with our tooling partner Rentouch, we also produced a small course on the topic of PI-Planning in regulated environments.
I guess that most of you know the famous statement of Peter Drucker ‘Culture eats strategy for breakfast‘. In regulated environments, some say: ‘Compliance eats agile for lunch!’.
Wait a minute!
Would that mean, we can’t apply Lean Principles?
That we can’t do PI planning?
Of course not!
We will showcase in this series why and how compliance and scaled agility can really help each other. What it really takes to fulfill the promises of scaled agile development in such regulated environments. On the example of PI Planning, we will show you real world examples, concepts and experiences based on industries such as Automotive, Aerospace, Medical Device, Defense and Finance.
My name is Peter Pedross, I’m CEO and founder of PEDCO and we are mostly known for our product Applied SAFe.
- Trailer – What you will get in this series –
- Compliance & Agile – Most regulatory requirements have a common base.
- Forget compliance, just follow the process – Relieve practitioners from the burden of compliance
- Regulatory requirements are our friends – Treat regulatory requirements as our friends and use them, to improve the processes.
- How to enhance SAFe for regulated environments – We showcase a concept and some examples.
- Lessons Learned – How to avoid bear traps and learn from each other.
Meet your Expert
CEO & Founder PEDCO AG,
- Chief Methodologist Applied SAFe
- Creator of the product Applied SAFe.
- Started to program for money at the age of 14. Ex-professional sportsman with a passion for software and a knack in engineering.
- 30+ years of working experience with 50+ publications.
- SAFe SPC since 2011, Agile (XP) since 1999.
- Happy father and married to a wonderful woman.
About the course
In this series Peter Pedross will showcase why and how compliance and scaled agility can really help each other. On the example of PI Planning, he will show you real world examples, concepts and experiences based on industries such as Automotive, Aerospace, Medical Device, Defense and Finance.
Characteristics of this series:
- Level: Beginner / Intermediate
- Total length of all episodes: 36min
- Last Updated: March 3, 2022
Our Case Studies
We have been asked about case studies for a while, we started to collect them and will continue to publish further case studies.
Please find here a selection of available case studies with Applied SAFe:
Lean Process Transformation in a MedTech Organization
Send download link to:
Being Agile AND Regulatory Compliant at a Large Insurance Company
Send download link to:
Lean Process Transformation in the Automotive Industry
Send download link to:
Instantiation and Tailoring in a Digital Transformation
Send download link to: